Pages

10.23.2013

Solids...

...We started Grey on solids! I wasn't ready to take this leap in parenting. I think there are a couple reasons why... One, it's inconvenient. Maybe that's me being lazy, but I enjoy just letting her nurse- there's no prep, no clean-up, we both know what to do... Two, I have felt really conflicted about giving her purees or doing BLW (Baby-led Weaning). BLW makes sense to me. I really like the idea of it and the fact that it takes the stress away from having to prepare and make baby purees. I have a hard time actually visualizing this working though. And yes, I could just go buy baby food, but I've looked at some of those ingredients and am not too impressed.

Anyway, we did start solids on her 6 month, 1 week birthday. And I did start with purees. We had avocado (with a lot of breast milk) for her first meal! She did pretty well! By the third day she was getting the hang of swallowing. For now, we are just eating after our morning feed and our first evening feed (twice a day). Once she gets more comfortable with eating and begins to wean a little, we'll send food to the sitters for lunch. I'm in no hurry for weaning or eating 3 meals a day!

We also tried sweet potatoes this week. We tried them for 3 days and she was not impressed. By day two, it was just comical. She would gag before I'd even put the spoon near her mouth! I made her try them twice a day for 3 days though. Daddy says she doesn't like them because he doesn't like them. And her gag face was definitely inherited from me! It's so funny!

So, we have had two different purees this last week. We took a day break because mommy needs to go to the store and I just felt like taking a break. I'm still wondering if I shouldn't try BLW. I know ultimately it doesn't matter how she starts eating, but watching her try to/and WANT to feed herself with the spoon this week and me wanting her to have a little control and choice over what to eat, makes me want to give her a big ol' chunk of something to gnaw on! We'll see...

I apologize up front for feeding pictures. I am a weirdo and pictures of babies eating grosses me out. I have no desire to see food smeared all over those sweet faces. It's even worse working in education and seeing third graders who are just as messy. I digress.

BUT, this is MY child, and MY blog, and I, of course, am going to document! (I'm a little annoyed- I've tried for 4 days to upload my videos and Blogger keeps showing an error. I'll try to go back and add them later so Grey can watch them one day! The one of her gagging before she even gets sweet potato near her mouth is too funny!)

Her eyes are shut (like her mom's usually are in pictures), but she was ready for avocado!
 What is happening?
 I'm ready...
This was a sweet potato day...
Photobucket

0 comments: