Pages

6.25.2013

Back to Paleo...

So, prior to getting pregnant, I had started the Paleo "diet". I use the word diet loosely, because it's really about a lifestyle change in eating. In a nutshell, you eliminate dairy, carbs, legumes, and any forms of sugar and additives/preservatives/GMOs/gross stuff from your diet. You are basically left eating lots of meat, veggies, and fruit! Some people know it as the "Caveman Diet". It is really hard the first few days when you are used to eating cereal and love pasta, cheese, corn, and black beans! BUT, after a few days you really don't even crave those things anymore. I have always been hypoglycemic, so when I don't eat I get really shaky, sweaty, and CRANKY! Ask the hubs. With this "diet" you are getting all your energy from protein and healthy fats, so my blood sugar levels level out and I don't experience those fun symptoms anymore!

Anyhooo, when doing fertility treatments, it was recommended I be on a low-carb diet. I also did some research and saw that many women with PCOS had good results with eliminating those symptoms and sometimes completely reversing the syndrome by eating the Paleo way. So, last May I decided to give it a shot. It didn't really help much with my PCOS, but I loved how I felt on it. I adhered to it pretty hardcore too. Then, I got pregnant. At that point, my RE recommended I eat whatever sounded good. And you know what sounded good? DAIRY & PASTA! So, while I still ate clean, I definitely didn't eat Paleo. I gained the 5 pounds I lost on Paleo back really quick...and I was pregnant, so weight gain is expected, right? I think total, I gained 27 pounds during my pregnancy. I wasn't able to work out much during pregnancy due to being high risk, so that didn't help!

All this to say, I wanted to give my body time to recover after giving birth. But, I'm now ready to work on getting back to a consistent diet and exercise routine. Grey seems to have a dairy allergy, so I cut that out immediately from my diet... Then, the hubs and I both started Paleo eating 2 weeks ago. I started my workouts at 6 weeks postpartum (I was up to running 5 mi. b/f pregnancy, and would love to get back to that eventually- but I'm not pushing anything). The first 17 pounds fell off me after birth, but I still have 10 hanging around. I feel great, and I am going to give myself 9 months to lose before I give away everything in my closet. I have 7 weeks before I return to work & I would love nothing more than to NOT have to buy all new pants before I start! I've lost right around 4 pounds, which I am very pleased with. I want to lose slowly so I can pay close attention to my milk supply. I love breastfeeding and plan to do it for at least a full year, so making sure my supply isn't affected by my diet and exercise is a big deal. I overproduce, so, so far, so good with keeping up the ounces! : )

My sister, and my sister-in-law, also eat Paleo, so it's nice to have people to share menus and recipes with. I must say, it's MUCH easier to eat this way when you have someone to do it with (the hubs)!

Oh, the one thing I love about Paleo...it's recommended that you do an 80/20, 85/15, or 90/10 model, meaning you eat Paleo 80% of the time, etc. We are doing the 85/15. Which allows us for 3 cheat meals a week, if we so choose. I cheat every morning when I have my coffee, but there is no way in-you-know-what that I'm giving that up! So far, in 2 weeks, I have only cheated once though. I had 2 s'mores- YUM! However, that all changed last night when we went on our first official date night since having Grey. We went to Wolfgang Puck's Five Sixty restaurant in the Reunion Tower. My.Oh.My. It was amazing! It's Asian infused and has a yummy sushi list. We definitely enjoyed our cheat meal...

My handsome date. 
 The view.
 It's been a while, martini. I missed you.
 Eye candy. : )
 It's hard to tell, but that ice cube was HUGE. Dimensions= 3x3x3.
 Sesame green beans with walnuts and scallions. (Yes, I am that person who takes pictures of food.)
 Sashimi and the spiciest roll I've ever tasted. Boy, I have come a long way since my days of putting a tiny speck of salsa on a chip.
 Ribs. They fell of the bone.
 Berry crumble. Oh.My.Stars.  (Not pictured, our shared filet and chipotle corn.)
 Sunset.
 We came home to this sweet baby and my babysister/sitter.
 Date night is fun. But it's even more fun to come home and snuggle with this little love.
 I will say,  my stomach hasn't felt fabulous this morning & I'm ready to get back to our Paleo lifestyle. After my coffee, that is.

This post is all over the place! But I just wanted to document that it's Paleo time around here!!! Nom-Nom!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Our life with 2 P's said...

Great job to my beautiful SIL and BIL! Your commitment will pay off! You are gorgeous and in beautiful shape just like you are now but I know the frustration in things not fitting as they did before. I'm here to encourage you all the way!! I love it!! XO!! And Wolfgang's got it right I tell ya!!

Kristin said...

Are we the same person? I swear! Our girls are so similar In their behaviors and so are we! Haha. I am back to paleo as of about 2 weeks now too!! I've lost 5lbs and have 8 to go to pre-prego weight. Would like to fit in most of my work clothes by 7/8 but I'm not sure my hips are going to cooperate. :) I can fit in most of them but I won't be wearing them in public... the look isn't flattering! :) go girl! I cheated Saturday at a sip 'n see I hosted and I felt like crap. So gross.

stephemcdonald said...

You will have to share some recipes...I'm going to try low carb again but I have to be really careful as it does affect my milk supply! I haven't not been blessed with a huge pumping production....thankful for every ounce I get!

Lindsey said...

I was just telling the hubs how bad I've been eating and want to start trying to eat clean. I will have to research this Paleo diet! Was there a website or book that you followed for this? I've been wanting to get out and run again but just don't feel like I have time with this little one. When/how are you finding time to run?

p.s. sorry for all the questions! I'm just trying to figure out how to make my life a little easier. :) Also, how are you feeling about going back to work?