Pages

4.12.2013

How You Were Born...

...So, this is a loooong post. I didn't want to forget a thing...


...On Tuesday, April 2nd, your daddy and I decided to go see a movie. This was pretty wild for me since it was a school night. I let your daddy pick the movie and wasn't very excited when I heard what he chose (Olympus has Fallen- which was on your Uncle Brandon's "to see" list...which you will one day learn is not the person to take movie advice from...) The movie turned out to be a typical Uncle Brandon movie- completely unrealistic with lots of one-liners...but I actually enjoyed it! While watching the movie I noticed that I was having more Braxton Hicks Contractions than normal and that they were a little "crampier". I looked at my phone to check the time and noticed they were about every 20-30 minutes. I didn't think a whole lot of it, but they continue through the night and I occasionally would wake up to one (but I mostly slept really well, between my normal bathroom breaks). The next morning I noticed I was starting to loose my mucus plug. I won't even go into that. So, I thought, maybe those BH from last night were helping me dilate! I had more contractions on and off throughout the day but I was pretty busy at work and didn't notice them a whole lot. Wednesday night I paid closer attention again and noticed they were back and were about 15-20 minutes apart, but not much stronger than a little cramping. At 3:00am I woke up and went to the bathroom and went to go find your daddy (who was cleaning the garage) and I had a really strong, long contraction. I turned on my contraction app and started timing these...I never went back to sleep b/c every 7-10 minutes I would get a very crampy/stronger contraction. My gut was telling me these weren't BH anymore. I was nervous and excited and couldn't sleep through them! I finally got up at 5:30 and showered. I also noticed I was losing more of my mucus plug. I told your daddy to be on standby and to go to bed and get some rest while I headed to work.

I warned my bosses that I might be in labor. They were not very happy that I came to school, but I had things to wrap up and kept myself busy finishing my last minute to-dos while I timed the contractions. At noon I decided to come home and rest since I hadn't really slept. My contractions were a little stronger but still ranging from anywhere from 5-12 minutes apart. I called my OB and he said to wait until they were consistently 5 min. apart before heading to the hospital. Daddy and I went to eat lunch and I came home and laid down. The contractions slowed down to 20 min. apart for an hour and then they picked up faster and stronger and were 10 min. apart and then consistently 4-6 min. apart! They were also much stronger and lasting longer. I felt like it was time to at least head to the hospital to have things checked out!

We got to the hospital at about 5:45 and they got me checked in. The nurse examined me and said I was 2/12-3 cm. dilated! They were going to watch me for the next 3 hours to make sure I was really in labor. I KNEW I was at this point. I labored for the next 3 hours and practiced my breathing and relaxation techniques. It was pretty painful at times, but I felt I was handling the pain pretty well. Your GiGi and ChaCha arrived shortly after and also helped daddy and I as labor progressed. Around 9, the nurse and doctor decided this was definitely labor...duh! I was ready for my epidural at this time and was about 4 cm. dilated. Ahhh, that brought sweet relief. We had a few hiccups with your heart rate because I was progressing so fast and you couldn't quite keep up with the contractions. It was very scary at one point when your heart rate dropped really low. Lots of nurses came in moving me in all kinds of positions. I cried a lot because I didn't know what was happening and thought you might be in trouble. The nurses were so wonderful though and took good care of me and you. They gave me a shot to slow down the labor so you could rest...

For the next hours, I tried to rest in anticipation of pushing. We watched your heart rate and they gave me oxygen all night. I dilated about a centimeter every hour.  Finally at 9cm, the doctor gave me pitocin to speed up my contractions to every 2 min. so I would be ready to push. Of course, you and your heart didn't like this (They thought you were laying, holding, doing something with your umbilical cord). We again monitored everything very closely. Then, you started descending. WOW! My epidural was still working, but there are still no words to describe this pressure. Ouch. I did lots of breathing and relaxation here with the help of your daddy. He was great. Then it was time to push. You descended down the birth canal so well, the doctor said we wouldn't have to push for long. Well, we sent your grandmas out of the room and then started pushing. After about 10 min. your heart rate dropped rapidly and the doctor said we needed to get you out now. So, he used forceps and helped you come out a little quicker!

Little Grey, this was the best moment of your daddy and I's life. The doctor said, "He has a full head of hair!" I said, so, "it's a boy!?". Your daddy moved the umbilical cord and said, "No, it's a little girl!!" We both started crying. We were so shocked. I couldn't believe you had hair and I really couldn't believe you were a little girl! We had both been convinced you would be a boy. All I can say is that I can't even imagine having a boy after that moment.

Right after birth I got to hold you skin-to-skin on my chest for an hour. It was magical to finally hold this child I had been carrying in my tummy for 9 months. You were finally here. This might have been one of my favorite hours of life. Your daddy and I decided we both liked the name Grey and it fit your little features so well. Nicolette is your great-grandma's maiden name.

And so, here you are Grey Nicolette Granberry.  6 lbs. 4.8oz., 18 1/4 inch long, born at 6:53am.

Labor was honestly an enjoyable experience, even with a few scares. I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park and was prepared for the pain, so I think that helped. I really am thankful I got to experience the process of giving birth. It is amazing what the Lord has designed our bodies to do.

You have stolen your daddy and I's heart. We are completely, totally, in love and are so blessed by you!! Your dad proudly drinks out of his "Daddy" cup every day and tells everyone he is hanging out with his new best friend. He sings and makes up songs for you.

Grey,
You are so very special. The Lord has great plans for you. Our biggest desire in life is that you will know your Savior. We love you more than we can express and pray that we can be the best parents for you. We are so excited to do life with you!
Love,
Mommy and Daddy

 Last preggo picture: 38 weeks & 4 days
(Nala didn't want me to go!)

 Gigi, Great Grandma, & Grey





 I love this picture of my two loves sleeping.
 
 Ready  to head home.




 And we made it! Family of 3 officially begins!
Photobucket

6 comments:

Laura said...

Grey is absolutely gorgeous! What a sweet birth story too.

Ashley said...

She is beautiful!! It is so great to see you and your husband starting this little family of yours:) And I loved the headbands!

The Heart Of A Woman said...

She is perfect!!!!

Kristin said...

The same thing happened to me with the epidural!! I had to stay on my side (back and forth from one to the other) most of the rest of my labor and I had to push on my sides! That was interesting (for 2.5 hours). I was also on oxygen the whole time too. These girls will keep us on our toes! :) oh and the pressure... Wow. I was not expecting to feel all I felt! I'm glad that epidural wasn't completely numbing but ouch. :)

Lindsey said...

What a beautiful birth story! Thank you for sharing. You have an even more beautiful family. :)

Unknown said...

The part where you said Jared said no it's a girl! Gives me goosebumps! I seriously just got them all over again typing that! How exciting for y'all! You kinda make me want to not find out next time! :)