Pages

2.21.2012

Giving It Up...

...Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, so the church season of Lent officially starts. Even though I am not Catholic, my family has always observed the 40 day act of giving something up. There is quite a bit of controversy surrounding this practice, although I'm not sure why. 

For me, giving up something that I enjoy or that is "important" to me for 40 days is a way for me to reflect on the importance and priorities of certain things in my life. On the days I am really desiring the "sacrifice" I am making, I pray and focus on God & my relationship with him. I know my 40 day sacrifice is nothing in comparison of what He did for me on the cross, but it is just one way I can show my love for the ONE who gave it all.

...So, this year I will be giving up two things that take up way too much energy, money, time away from what really matters, etc. ... (which is kind of embarrassing as I'm actually typing this out) ... 1. Shopping & 2. Facebook.

It looks to be a long 40 days ... but I'm excited to see how I grow in Him over the coming weeks.




Photobucket

1 comments:

Kristen said...

We aren't Catholic either but have always done the same thing! I'm giving up sweets...eeek! I will remember to pray for your Facebook and shopping fast.:)