Pages

8.01.2016

Twins...ONE Year...

 ...I still cannot believe a whole year has gone by since you two darlings joined our family. It's hard to remember what life was like before you were here. I love remembering back to the day you were born, and read the post I wrote every month or two. The birth stories of my babies are my favorite stories. The anticipation, excitement, fear, love, all the feels...every emotion possible is heightened in those moments leading up to your births. And then you're here. All 3 of you now. And I guess those emotions, that high, is really just the beginning. Because everyday as I pray over you and your little hearts and lives, I feel all those things again. Anticipapting all God has in store, excited to see what you'll do next, fear over what kinds of trials and heartaches the Lord will tenderly place in your paths, and all the love I'll unconditionally feel for you through it all. Oh, my heart.

We survived the first year. And it's such an oh-so-happy and oh-so-sad feeling I have. The bitter-sweetness of saying goodbye to all those first year firsts and goodbye to the baby stage. And this time it's forever. You two are my last babies. It breaks my heart and also makes me so excited for the next stages that are to come. As I've already learned with your big sister, it really does just get better and better. There is always a hard part with each phase of life, with raising tiny little humans. But the sweet times far outweigh all the parenting guilt, worries, struggles, and frustrating moments.

Hazel & Scarlett, it is my biggest joy and biggest honor to be your mommy. I won't always get it right but I promise I'll never give up trying to be the best mommy I can be for you. I pray the Lord guides me each day to be just what you need.

  • Stats: 
    • 10 1/2 mo. adjusted!
    • Both in 3-6 and some 6-12 mo. clothing, size 2 diapers
    • Both of your stats are on the adjusted scale
    • Hazel: height: 69.5cm (15%tile), weight: 15lbs 8oz (5%tile), and head in the 52%tile, 6 teeth
    • Scarlett: height: 69.5cm (15%tile), weight: 16lbs (9%tile), and head in the 58%tile, 4 teeth with 2 on the way
  • Schedule: 
    • 6:30-7. Wake! Scarlett you are always the first one up, sometimes 20-30 minutes before Hazel. You're usually fine just rolling around and babbling. I don't get you out of your cribs until 7/7:15.
    • 7:00 Eat
    • 9:30-11:00 Nap
    • 11:00 Eat
    • 2-3:30 Nap
    • 3:30 Milk Only
    • 5:30 Eat
    • 6:30 Bath 
    • 7:00 Bed
        • Your schedule may vary 30 minutes either direction, but you are pretty consistent.
  • Eating: 
    • You know take your milk from a sippy and eat your solids with it. You are becoming less and less interested in drinking milk. Especially Hazel, you just want the real food! 
    • We are pretty much giving you anything to try table food wise. And you LOVE everything, from broccoli to french fries, and peas to tuna salad! I hope this lasts forever!!
  • Sleep: You are still both excellent sleepers. Hazel, you love your paci and self soothe so well. Scarlett, you take longer to settle at night (naps are usually fine) because you still won't take a paci or suck your thumb, or hug a lovie...or anything!
  • Potty Training: HA! Not yet!
  • Personality:
    •  I swear every time I figure you girls out, you completely just swap characteristics.
    • Hazel- You have gone from our "Happy Hazel" to our little fusser and screamer. I use the word fuss loosely though, because your fussing is not even bad. Your screaming on the other hand, aye-aye-aye. You scream when your hungry and I'm not feeding you fast enough, or when you don't want to be in your car seat anymore. And it hurts my ears. Four of your teeth came in simultaneously and I think this has a lot to do with your more irritable behavior. You are still so happy to play and explore and love everyone.
    • Scarlett- You have turned into our "Smiley Scarlett". You are so, so happy, all the time. You think everything anyone or yourself does is funny and giggle giggle all day long. I love your laugh, it is kind of muffled sounding and just so cute. You are all about mommy right now, and I'm a-ok with that! You are quick as a whip and you learn new skills so fast.
  • Friends/Relationships: You both love your mommy, daddy, and big sister. Grey takes the cake though. You both light up and get the biggest smiles anytime she walks in the room. You really love most everyone and warm-up pretty fast to strangers. You both prefer to be held my someone you know though- mainly mommy and daddy.
  • Discipline: 
    • Right now, we are just working on setting limits and making sure you know we're serious. You both know what no means, but tend to just do it anyway. Oh my. So different from your pleasing, obedient big sis!
  • Play: You are getting bored playing with the same old baby toys, so we try to switch up your day by playing upstairs, downstairs, and then taking a field trip somewhere between your naps and bedtime. You both love to "unload" things. Taking everything out of your toy baskets, little kitchen, puzzles, picnic basket, little oven toy, balls... And of course you love anything you can chew on. Hazel, you're a doer and play by doing. Scarlett, you're an observer, so you watch and then do.
  • Speak: You both still just babble. You both say ma-ma, sometimes it's babble, but on several occasions it has been directed to the object (me!). Ma, Ba, Da are your most frequent sounds.
  • Development and Learning: You have both mastered clapping, showing us how big you are, and playing peek-a-boo on command. You also love to fake cough, which is the funniest thing! You're in the middle of a leap right now, and you are definitely not as cheerful!
    • Hazel- You love to try to put things on, clothes, hats (with things that aren't hats), and you love putting on sunglasses and goggles (in the bathtub). 
    • Scarlett- You are a FAST learner, you pick up on things we teach you so quick (playing the drums, playing with toys "correctly"). You study, watch, observe, then do it. Whereas Hazel tends to just do things and learn as she experiences. 
  • Parent Struggles: My biggest struggle is mealtimes. I hate the battle of you throwing things on the ground...ugh. Especially your milk, which I swear spills everywhere at least once a day. Sippy cups are my arch nemesis.
  • Prayers: Our prayer for you right now is actually a prayer for us as your parents. We know we cannot parent you the same way we do Grey, or the same way for each other. As we leave baby phase and enter into toddler-hood, your personalities will develop even more and more. We pray God gives us wisdom to know what each of you needs. We also pray for your relationship as sisters- that they 3 of you will find love, encouragement, and friendship in one another.

Pictures are blurry and a little crazy. I had accidentally turned my shutter speed down for pictures from your party and didn't check it before I took these.






















On your actual birthday we had brunch on the square and you devoured a grilled cheese!













Going to bed as official 1 year olds.






 photo sig_1.png

0 comments: