Pages

9.12.2013

Saying Goodbye...

...My sweet grams, Eleanor Jane {Nicolet} Swinehart, went to be with our Lord, 9 days after her 82nd birthday. I am so blessed that I was able to have 31 wonderful years with her. She was one of a kind. The best seamstress in the Midwest. The most fabulous potato salad maker. Queen of shopping with her granddaughters. Lover of sweets (and making sure her grandkids got plenty of sugar). A Christ-follower.

I have so many wonderful memories with my grandma. She taught me to sew. She taught me about the Lord. She played with me, helped me, loved me. Our daughter carries on her name, Grey Nicolette. I miss her.

The last few months with her were very special. She came to Texas to come to one of my baby showers...she had been having medical issues for a couple months prior, but didn't tell anyone because she didn't want people to tell her she couldn't come to Texas! Stubborn ol' lady! : ) While here for the long weekend, she had a heart attack, followed by many health issues. Her 5 day stay turned into 6 months and ended with a trip home. Her eternal home. I am so thankful for the mysterious workings of our God. Her being in Texas during all of this was the best place she could've been. My mom took great care of her and I was able to spend time with my grams. She got to meet Grey, and to me, there's nothing sweeter than that!

I pray she is enjoying Heaven with my grandpa now. That they are patiently waiting for their family to join them too. I'm so thankful for the time I was given with the best grandparents in the world.

We, of course, traveled to Indiana for the funeral. Grey did really well traveling. Except for some stranger danger, she adjusted great to being off a schedule and surrounded by the crazy family. She was very go with the flow. She got to meet her Grandpa for the first time, too!

My grandparents lived on a farm and my best childhood memories took place there. I loved everything about it. It was so great to be back, and so bittersweet. It was the last time I would be there, in that house. I think leaving there was just as hard as losing my grandma. I took lots of pictures, but I'll never be able to capture the smells and that hard to explain feeling of being "home".  


Flying with daddy. Sweet loves. 
 This is my youngest cousin, Grey's first-cousin-once-removed, Drake! He's beyond precious!
 Grey with Great Aunt Sue-Sue.
 Playtime for Grey in the Farmhouse.
 I loved everything about my grandparents house (including the uber-creepy basement), but these stairs were my favorite. It's hard to imagine I'll never walk up them again.
 I also loved these doors leading into my grandparents' bedroom.
The farmhouse.
 We ran up and down this sidewalk all the time..
 The old dinner bell. This was so much fun to ring when we were little!
 A Grey photoshoot on one of many of the quilts my grandma made.
 My last sunset on the porch at the farm.
 Grey and I's shadow. 
 Porch Selfie.This porch is where the family always gathered. SO many memories. It's also were I once mooned a passing car at age of 7. In a town of 1,200- I didn't get away with it. : )
 Family picture in front of the farmhouse.
 Grey and her grandpa, my dad. 
Photobucket

3 comments:

stephemcdonald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephemcdonald said...

Great photos!! What sweet memories!! Glad sweet Grey got to meet her and that God made her last months so special.

Lindsey said...

You have me in tears! This reminds me so much of my family memories as a child. I'm so sorry for your loss of an incredible woman.