Pages

7.30.2012

So, About That Coffee..

...Next to Jesus, the hubs, and fam & friends, coffee might be one of my greatest loves. But let me back up a moment.

I started adopting the "paleo" way of eating back in May for health purposes. In the past 3 months I have researched and learned more about nutrition and its effects on our body and health than I ever intended to. There are so many things I love about the paleo diet. I love getting my energy from proteins instead of carbs and sugars. I love having a steady blood sugar level. I love knowing that eating organic fruits & veggies, and cage free/grain fed chicken, grass fed beef, and wild fish is helping my body to be the best it can be. This all sounds so lame and corny. But it's true. I have stuck pretty closely (90/10 weekly ratio) to the paleo diet for the past 3 months (minus my week in Chi-town), and I feel like I've given myself a chance to see the changes in my health. Although I have not achieved exactly what I wanted, I am pleased with my dietary overhaul. What I put in my body is now of utmost importance and I don't eat anything without thinking of where it came from and what's in it.

Now, there are definitely parts of the paleo diet that I dislike. With a capital D. The biggest one being, no coffee.  I used to drink 2-3 cups in the morning and then occasionally a Starbucks drink while out and about.

So, with much consideration, I have decided to drink coffee again. In moderation. As in, ONE cup a day. Dairy is a paleo no-no, unless it's full fat/organic/fermented/hormone-antibotic free, and even then it should be limited. However, I like cream in my coffee. (Read here for a dairy overview.)

Today, I decided I would make my own creamer using all organic ingredients. I used the recipe from this site. I am very excited to see how it turned out when I have my cup tomorrow morning.

Final product. (I found this bottle at Home Goods for $3.99)
Am I still a paleo eater? Well, I think I'm paleo-ish. I'm currently doing what works for me. In addition to coffee, I have been eating oatmeal (the real deal, not the packaged/processed sugary junk) and every once in a while I might start having some cheese. All I know for sure is that I want to take care of my body and health... : )

Photobucket

5 comments:

The Heart Of A Woman said...

The paleo diet looks sooo hard to me, as does gluten free diets, etc. I wanted to do gluten free for a while, but I know I can't stick to it. I have wondered if some of my pain doesn't come from an allergy or sensitivity to certain foods, but I am not strict enough to stick with it. I think you are doing great!

Kristin said...

I drank coffee, even when I was hardcore super strict literally didn't cheat for 6 weeks paleo. I just drank it black. :) I think it's okay in moderation. Definitely better off without it, but it's not the worst thing in the world you could do (esp only 1 cup). :) Although I'm now not drinking it for other reasons. But, I miss it! xoxo

Unknown said...

I agree with the coffee - it is a MUST HAVE!!
Just to let you know, as i obviously love you blog that i nominated you for the versatile blogger award; your featured over here... http://www.ourlittlebalhamlife.com/2012/08/i-am-one-lucky-girl-more-awards-you-say.html
Hope your having a good day?
Nic x

Niken said...

i'm a coffee addict. but i've reduced the number of cups of coffee i drink daily right now

stephemcdonald said...

So just realized that when I comment at work they don't actually post!! So I comment all the time and I don't you even see them:( Boo....so how did the creamer turn out?!