Pages

8.09.2012

Summer Reading...

...I read. A lot. In the summer, I read a lot more. My interests are all over the place!! If I had to choose one genre though, historical fiction or non-fiction is my favorite. Yes, I'm a history dork. Here is what I have read since school let out, most of them have been on the light-side (good beach and pool reads).

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled  Hosseini
I loved this book as much as The Kite Runner. I learned a lot about the history of Afghanistan & the atrocious treatment of women that is permitted there.

Hannah's Hope by Jennifer Saake
Given to me by a dear friend,  a great read!
No Turning Back & Turn to Me by Tiffany A. Snow
Recommended by a friend who describes the series as 50 Shades without the porn & more political drama. Good, quick reads!
Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Heart of the Matter, & Love the One You're With by Emily Griffin
These are completely mindless, with great character development. Just what summer reading is about. 
Flat Out Love by Jessica Park
A cute little love story.
Nordie's at Noon
Stories of 4 women's battles with breast cancer, all under the age of 30. 
What Papa Told Me by Felice Cohen
A concentration camp survivor's story as told to his granddaughter. 
Gone Girl & Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
I loved these mysteries, and I was left guessing until the very end! I heard Gone Girl is being made into a movie!
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Because you can't forget the classics. 
A Few Good Eggs by Julie Vargo & Maureen Regan
Given to me by another friend. A quick read with a positive spin on a depressing & painful subject. 
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
The world is slowing down and days and nights become longer. A little scary to think about what would happen to earth!
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Love, love, love this book. I have posted about it before, but it's all about giving thanks the our Creator and how doing so can change our entire perspective. Beautifully and eloquently written. 
Slammed & Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover
Two more cute love stories. Same characters. 
Right now I am in the middle of Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller & Breaking Free by Beth Moore.

...I am so excited about some of the fall releases and I have already pre-ordered: Ken Follet's Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy Book 2), In the Shadow of Banyan by Vaddey Ratner (this was just delivered to my Kindle yesterday!), & Reached by Ally Condie.

...It would be so hard for me to list just one favorite book, but some of my all time favorites are Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth & World Without End, Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible, Francine River's Redeeming Love, and Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken.

What have you been reading? What are some of your all time favorites?
Photobucket

2 comments:

henning love said...

you have so many great book recommendations thanks for sharing! my husband is gone next week maybe i will pick up one of these books you suggested

Wendy Annabeth said...

I heart your blog! Thought you might be interested in 2 giveaways I'm hosting @ www.domesticsweetheart.com

P.S. I'm a new GFC follower!