For spring break, Jared and I went with our good friends Kelly and Josh on a last minute ski trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We left of Saturday around 6 in the morning...we knew it would be a special vacation when we stopped in Wichita Falls for some breakfast and were almost trampled by a 300 pound woman NOT wearing shoes who was walking out of the DIRTY Whataburger. Anyway...after 9 1/2 hours on the road, with a couple stops for food, gas, and bathroom, and a little off-roading we made it to our condo. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of our condo...but it was a great place to stay, very southwestern in style, and most importantly, clean.
Once we unpacked, we headed to downtown (which is basically a collection of adobe buildings, none of which are more than two or three stories) to rent our skis and boots, so we wouldn't have to do it in the morning. The first place we went to was about to close and the line was out the door, the boys said we would go somewhere else, but Kelly and I were stubborn and said we should just stay in line...eventually the boys won and we went down the street a few blocks. At Mountain Ski, you didn't have to wait in any line at all b/c we were the only people there...along with the 6 stoners who work there and who were downing packs of Pabst beer. After the boys contemplated buying skis and a new snowboard (but didn't), and we learned about how the girl who worked there "manifested" her cat, we were ready with our equipment to ski on Sunday. After some recommendations, we decided we would try our first Santa Fean (is that a word?) meal at Maria's. This place was phenomenal ...we had the best food and margaritas. The restaurant has over 150 tequilas and some of the strongest margaritas any of us have ever had.
Sunday we woke up early (7:30) and headed to the mountain. This was only my second time to ski, so I was a little nervous about avalanches and busting ass. :) I skied mostly greens that day as I worked on my form (and fell 5 times)...my goal was to advance to a "type 2" skier this trip! We also watched the boys do some jumps in the "theme" (terrain) park. We ate breakfast and lunch on the mountain...breakfast was delish and they had the BEST coffee ever...better than Starbucks! Lunch was mediocre. We skied until 3:30 and headed back to town where we decided a stop at Maria's was needed...after some margaritas we headed back to the condo and played some Wii...we waited too long to get dinner and ended up going to bed without any.
Monday looked a lot like Sunday except I only fell once and did a bunch of blues. The boys busted it in the terrain park, but later redeemed themselves. We ate lunch at a different tavern on the mountain and it was much better. Margaritas at Maria's were once again amazing...and that night we actually ordered some pizza from a great wood oven pizza place...Kelly and I went to pick it up and when we got home the boys were battling it out on the Wii again...only tonight they stayed up until 4am!!! We're still not sure what they were thinking b/c Kel and I were tired and went to bed around 11!
Needless to say, Tuesday was a later start and we only got a half day of skiing in (which was more than fine with me)...with lots of blues and zero falls from me! We ate breakfast at Lotaburger, which we highly DO NOT recommend. Kelly and I said there would be NO Maria's tonight b/c we wanted to get dinner and shop downtown. So after skiing we turned in our gear (all the Stoners were actually working this day so we didn't get any manifestation stories), then we walked around downtown and looked at all the beautiful art galleries and jewelry stores (unfortunately real turquoise is real expensive and we didn't get any). We had appetizers and drinks at a bar and grill and then headed home to shower. After we got ready we decided we wanted to go to a Hibachi grill, it was delicious, but waaaaay too expensive. But I did get Jared to try some sushi after begging and he LOVED it.
Overall, the weather was amazing...60's in town, and 40's on the mountain...since my only other ski experience consisted of me almost getting frost bite, I enjoyed Spring skiing a lot more! Although...I admit, I still would rather have a cute Mexican serving my a frozen beverage by the beach! I do love watching my awesome husband ski though, and he is really patient with me and my lack of ski skills!:) We had such a wonderful time traveling with Josh and Kel...and we hope to do it again in the future! We love y'all!
Easter basket gift ideas
2 years ago





0 comments:
Post a Comment