...I feel so out of the blogging world!
I just finished my 7 day a week, 5 week, 300+ hour internship. It was absolutely incredible. I did my internship through UNT's Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) program. The gist of the program is that it provides low-income, (often) first-generation college bound students interested in a math or science field, an opportunity to experience a bit of the college life. The students attend classes all day and participate in various activities in the evening and weekend. They live in the dorms for 5 weeks and give up their family, friends, and summer. They work hard and play hard. For many of them, it is a life-changing experience.
I was one of the 3 counseling interns on the staff. I cannot even begin to express how blessed I feel to have been chosen and given the opportunity to work with these students. As a counseling intern, I held counseling groups, lead a workshop, and had individual therapy/counseling sessions. Many of these kids come with "stuff". They have, and are currently trying to overcome obstacles that get in the way of them achieving excellence. I was a little nervous about working with high school aged kids, because let's face it, I was an adolescent once and I remember how scary they can be! These teenagers were absolutely incredible though. They are intelligent kids who are determined to make the most of their lives. I cannot even begin to describe how they have touched my heart and inspired me. Giving up my pool time, sleep, and other lazy summertime activities was worth every second to hear one of the students say that I changed his life. It was one of the most rewarding things I have ever had someone say to me, and I hope sharing it comes across humbly, because I by no means credit myself. I know anything I do here on earth is because God has given me the skill and opportunity. There are few moments in life where I have felt like I have made a difference, and that is one of them.
I am so thankful for all that I have, every blessing. I am grateful that I have been able to go to grad. school to get educated in something I am really passionate about. The prospect of working and doing something I love is overwhelming. I hope I will get to work with teens on a regular basis. They're really not so scary.





2 comments:
What a blessing you were to those students! I'm so proud of you!! I know all your hard work paid off for those students and you too. So humbling and I love hearing that you changed and touched someones life. I love you tons!!!
Good for you girl!!! I am sure you will bless many more teens!!
Post a Comment