Pages

1.03.2017

Twin Series | Part 1...

...Now that I have over a year under my belt, I'm starting to feel like I've got the twin thing down, kind of. I'm no expert and every day I learn more- just like any mommy with any number of kids (more on that in a minute).

I have so many thoughts on twins and the whole "twin world" that I was thrown into the day they sonographer said, "and there's another heartbeat!" I mean, I knew there were identical and fraternal twins, but other than that I was clueless. Within 30 minutes of finding out we were having twins, we got schooled on the various types (turns out there are way more variations than just fraternal and identical). That was just the beginning of my learning...

So, I thought it would be fun to do a little twin series and share some of my humble opinions and lessons learned on twins...so far.



Part 1 | Twin Moms are NO Better Than Other Mommies, Period.

As soon as we found out we were having twins I joined lots of twin mommy boards. They have been invaluable to me. I gained so many great ideas and tips, and also learned a lot about advocating for my mono-di twins that needed extra attention and care during the high risk pregnancy. While I would say these twin boards were and are a pretty essential part of my twin mommy-ing, I couldn't help but notice the air of superiority SOME (certainly not all) of the twins mommies let off.

Before I get on my soapbox here, let me say, having twins is ABSOLUTELY super special and such a beautiful blessing. However, it does not make you a better mommy or a mommy that knows more than others, or a mommy that has it harder or rougher than others, or that even your pregnancy is worse or tougher (I think mine was easier than a lot of my friends with singletons).

Yes, there are some things that seem much harder- trying to calm two crying babies down at once when you only have two arms (and a toddler running amuck who also demands your help and attention), but is that harder than the mommy who has two kids close together in age, or a mommy who has 4 kids? I don't think so. I think every mom has their own battles, whether it's a baby who just won't sleep, one that struggles with reflux and the fussing that comes with that, or the toddler who is completely unruly, a child with special needs, a child with a strong-willed personality, and on-and-on.

I feel just as special to be my sweet Grey's mommy as I do to being the mommy to my twins. And I don't feel like I am some superhuman woman and mom because I birthed and am raising twins. I feel super and special because God chose me to be a mommy to 3 little pretties. And I feel special that I get to share my parenting experiences and learn from the experiences of others.

So, to sum up my rambling, having twins is unique, rare, and special. But so is parenting. Every mom and dad face different challenges with their children, no matter how many they have or their ages.


 photo sig_1.png

1 comments:

Our life with 2 P's said...

Amen sister! If I hear "super mommy" one more time I think I may shake someone! Every mom is a super mom! You hit the nail on the head- its unique but having 1 or 4 kids also has struggles and is unique. I love that we get to share these experiences together :)