Pages

5.24.2012

Not A Lota...

...Not a lot is going on here. I haven't been in much of a blogging mood as of late. Here is a little catch-up...

...I recently adopted the Paleo diet into my life, so I have also been spending a lot of time in the kitchen as I learn to eat and cook without carbs, dairy, legumes, soy, and basically anything processed and easy to eat! The first week or so was a little rough, mostly because I missed the convenience of having a bowl of cereal for dinner, or grabbing a special K bar/cheese stick  on my way to work/gym/wherever. I have read every label on every food item I go to purchase & I can honestly say that I am now officially disturbed by the crap that I have been putting in my body for the last 29 years. The hardest part of this diet, other than convenient eating, is giving up coffee! I now only allow myself one cup a week, usually on Sunday mornings. I also have one cheat meal a week and occasionally/rarely allow a little portion of unhealthy meat (bacon/sausage) or bit of cream/cheese to slip into my meals/drinks. So far, I've done pretty well, although I'm still learning. My purpose for this dietary change is not for weight loss, but for overall health & wellness. I can imagine in my future I will definitely indulge in some unhealthy meals, because who can go a life time without creme brulee, movie theater popcorn, or pancakes?! But, after just a month of eating clean, I think I can say that I will always be aware of what I put into my body & will never again be able to eat as I have in the past. Here are some great recipe sites/blogs I've found on the Paleo lifestyle.We had macadamia & chorizo crusted halibut this week and it was amazing!


Occasionally, Gwyneth Paltrow's site will have some Paleo meals:

...I recently went to the Teacher of the Year Banquet to celebrate my friend, Courtney, as she received her much deserved recognition and award. I love, love, love this girl. I have been blessed to know this sweet woman over the last 6 years and am honored to have her as a friend and a teacher role model. I also love that we are often confused for one another by students, parents, and other teachers at our school. At one point, her mom even called me Courtney. This is a huge compliment, because as you can see, she is about the cutest, most fashionable girl I know! We are pretty sure we were separated at birth. Anyway, Courtney and I have only been on the same grade level team for one year, and then we were split apart by our principal who had to do some movements at our campus. We begged her to keep us together (she couldn't), and ultimately told her that one day we would find a way to work together again. Well, we sure showed her, because next year we are both going to be taking on a new job of Instructional Coach, so we will finally be on a team together again. Unfortunately, we are both going to new campuses, so we won't see each other daily. We have already arranged to Face Time each morning to see what the other is wearing... Wow, I just got very off track...

Sweet teacher friends. 
With the T.O.Y.
 ...We hung out with my love's family. Here is a shot of Jared and one of our nephews, Payne. Two peas in a pod.
 ...I took this picture of my ring because I like the way it looked by the hem of my dress. I thought it was pretty. And I was bored sitting in traffic. Just call me artsy. : )
 ...My dear, dear friend, Anne, is moving to Connecticut in just 2 weeks. I see this girl almost daily. We go on walks, we eat out, we shop, our husbands make us laugh, we go to church, and bible study together. I don't know what I'll do when she leaves. My heart will break. : ( We've been spending as much time with her and her husband as we can! We went to Brio for dinner last weekend with the Catlins & Mannings. It was a lovely, long, patio dinner.
Anne, me, and Courtney (a different, but equally fabulous Courtney) 
...I've been reading One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp. Life has been a little rough lately,  and I am clinging to hope & learning to give thanks daily. It is hard to be thankful when you feel like things suck. But the more I do it, the easier it is to see all the blessings that surround me. And His blessings are plentiful.
From her book:

"I wonder too...if...the losses that puncture our world, our own emptiness, might actually become places to see. To see though to God. That which tears open our souls, those holes that splatter our sight, may actually become the thin, open places to see through the mess of this place to the heart-aching beauty beyond. To Him. To the God whom we endlessly crave. How do we choose to allow the holes to become seeing through to God places? How do I give up resentment for gratitude, gnawing anger for spilling joy, self-focus for God-communion? To fully live- to live full of grace and joy and all that is beauty eternal."

“Eucharisteo—thanksgiving—always precedes the miracle.” 
So, as you can see, nothing too exciting has been going on. We're just enjoying each day as it comes & walking in ! 
Photobucket

0 comments: