Pages

12.18.2010

Time for an Opinion...

...I am an opinionated person, I won't deny it. I don't normally care to share my opinions on my blog, but I think I will today.

You see, I was getting my daily dose of news and stumbled upon THIS. Which made me think, why do we celebrate/what is Christmas? Pick me, pick me!!! It is the birth of Christ. It is a Christian holiday. It is about hope, joy, celebration, and mostly our King's love for us. Read John 3:16.

Anyway, I got extremely annoyed (as I do every year) that there is even a debate or question as to what is politically correct to say to others this time of year. Happy Holidays? Merry Christmas? Again, Jesus is the reason for the season. I fully believe this. I also believe that if you are celebrating on December 25th, then you are celebrating  Christmas, thus, Merry Christmas is the only reasonable answer. If you don't believe, then why would you be celebrating (though many do)? And why would you take offense if someone said Merry Christmas? Does saying those words equate to someone trying to make you believe in something you don't, are they offensive?

I did try for a second to see the other "side" of this and how I would feel if someone said "Happy Hanukkah" or another religious holiday that my faith did not include. How would I react? Well, I think would probably say, "I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but I hope you have a great one." Or even better, if it opened the door, I might even have a conversation about faith. Who knows? But would I take offense and tell them that's not politically correct? NO.

I think it's important to be accepting/kind to people of all faiths/religions/race/culture/etc. (whether you share the belief or not), but I also believe that, considering the whole point of Christmas is CHRIST, you can say Merry Christmas without feeling guilty or wondering if you're offending another person.

That's all I got as far as opinions go today. Or at least that I'll be sharing on a blog. I definitely have many more opinions on a variety of topics, but I have learned not to vocalize all of them. : )

I hope that we remember, in the midst of all the giving, that we have been given the ultimate gift in Christ. In December, and all year round. MERRY CHRISTMAS!


signature 2

4 comments:

raschel said...

here here! i agree! well said.

Our life with 2 P's said...

Amen! I was thinking about this today when my Target checker told me "Happy Holidays" and I sweetly replied " Merry Christmas to you!" I don't get why people debate over CHRISTmas!! As a Christian, it's the center of our worlds and the understanding and reasoning for all we do. I'm SO glad to read this post as it was something that completely annoys me to. Glad I have such a devoted CHRISTian sister{in-law}. Love you tons!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Our life with 2 P's said...

I just realized I wrote "to" instead of "too".....totally annoys me to have spelling/grammatical errors in a sentence so please forgive a sista!

A Wedding Story said...

Merry Christmas!!! I loved this post! I think about this all the time and we as Christians should really stand up for what we believe...that Jesus is the reason for the season, and that he is the Real Son of the Living God whether or not they want to believe it!