...Let me start from the beginning.
I LOVE Europe. No, I REALLY love it. I am a huge history dork and ever since I was 14 I have been really interested in where I am from and my heritage (German and Swiss)...that interest grew and grew as I started to study American and European history and eventually extended even more into other cultures (due to Spanish courses). Anyway, Europe has always seemed so beautiful to me, and the people/food/culture fascinating. I am particularly fascinated with the architecture. It has been my dream to go see all of Europe. During college, I was supposed to study in Valencia, Spain...however, due to some extenuating family curcumstances, I was unable to study abroad. (Side note: this was a good thing b/c I actually started to seriously date/fall in love with Jared at this time...GOD'S PLAN AND TIMING IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN MY OWN!!!!). I was determined to eventually go though...
And I did! My wonderful friend, Jennifer, and I went on a tour of Europe after I graduated. We basically went to every country I wanted to see except for Greece, The Cezch Rep., and Spain.
Jared and I also went to Berlin and Rome on a trip after we got married.
And, last week, I finally got to go to SPAIN! Jared and a couple of guys from his work were asked to attend a training for HP in Barcelona. There was no way Jared was going to go to Europe without me!!! Since spouses were invited, AND TAKS testing was over, AND my graduate professors worked with me to turn in assignments early, I was able to go! It was short trip (we left Friday night and came home Wednesday), but we had 3 full days in Barcelona (or at least I did, Jared was in training all day for 2 of them). It is a great city, with lots to see. Not my favorite European city, but wonderful nonetheless. There is NOTHING I love more than walking through cobblestone streets by buildings that are hundred of years old. Nothing compares to the craftsmanship and detail that goes into almost every building. And the cathedrals! Oh what it must be/have been like to worship the Lord in a place so beautiful.
One thing I really loved about Barcelona was the food...a typical Spanish dish, paella, is what I ate daily!!! It is a rice mixed with a few vegetables and seafood/meats of your choice...YUM! And of course, my Spanish drink of choice: Sangria! : )
I can't wait to go back to Europe (we will be going in October for Jared's masters program...and hopefully I will get to go to France and Switzerland with my Grandma and cousin this summer to see my other cousin who is working in Clermont, France! : ))
Here are some pictures:
And it all began on an over night transatlantic flight with a SCREAMING (literally, it was no cry, but a shrill scream) the ENTIRE flight. (See the little bugger in the left?)
The Arc de Triumph. I'm learning that there seems to be one of these in every city...not just Paris.
After dinner by the port on night 3. I just like the way I'm smiling at Jared in this one.

Inside the entryway to the city's gothic cathedral. Pictures never do these places justice.
In front of the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's cathedral). Not nearly as impressive as something built in the 1100's...but still beautiful in it's own way. (This cathedral was never finished.)
A mosaic wall in Guell Park (another of Gaudi's contributions to Barcelona). All the detail was amazing...but was truly "gaudi"!...I understand the meaning of the word now!






1 comments:
So fun! LOVE it!!
Have you read Pillars of the Earth?? You would love it! I'll give it to you!
Post a Comment