Pages

5.15.2010

It's Only Hair and It Will Grow...

Last September, my school's Kindness and Compassion (KC) club (part of Rachel's Challenge) decided to take on the service project of The Pink Heart Funds. Our Rachel's Challenge motto for the year, was "Others Before Self", and this project fit perfectly with that! Since my mom is a Pink Heart Fund rep., I served as the leader of the project...although I must say my third graders were AWESOME at promoting the project and getting others to join in.

In a nutshell, The Pink Heart Fund is a non-profit organization that provides 100% FREE (unlike Locks for Love- who charge) wigs for children experiencing hair loss due to cancer, alopecia, or other diseases/injuries.

We had around 40 students pledge to grow out their hair this school year and donate their ponytails to this foundation. Well, yesterday was our HUGE cut-a-thon...and we had over 76 ponytails donated by teachers, students, parents, and community members...over 500 inches of hair!!! It takes 10-12 ponytails to make just one wig!!

I am SO proud of my school and the selfless acts they perform everyday...and especially yesterday. I know there is nothing more personal and no better way to put "others before self" than to give something of yourself to help others. As a mother of one of my students said, you can see the Lord at work at Shannon Elementary. In these "times", Christianity is not supposed to be spoken of in schools, but you can still show Christ like love and not say a word. : )

Since it's against the law now to post pictures of students on the Internet, I'll just share my before and after pics!








signature 2

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Why thank you Mrs. Granberry! Cute hair cut by the way! ;)